Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Looking For A Job? - Being Friendly Helps

It's Saturday brunch time and I'm dying for that first cup of coffee of the day.  My boyfriend and I make out a food list and head down to the overpriced supermarket in Scarsdale (I won't mention any names but you know who you are).  Being the nice guy that he is, my boyfriend said he'd pick up the few things that we needed while I went to the Starbucks at the train station.  

The Starbucks was unusually crowded ( everyone must have been going to NYC to do their holiday shopping) so I took a seat at the counter waiting for my boyfriend to come out of the supermarket (the snobby, ridiculously priced one).  The guy behind the counter was friendly (as I am) and stuck up a conversation about jobs, and the rotten economy.  Somehow in conversation, it came up that I had been a recruiter and suddenly from behind, a young woman leapt out of her chair and asked, "excuse me, did I overhear you say you're a recruiter?'  She told me she was looking for work so we exchanged business cards and I told her I might be able to refer her to a staffing firm where I had previously worked.

Being friendly (or nosey) helps, particularly when looking for a job.  You never know when you'll run into the person who might turn out to be your future employer, referral, recruiter (or baritsta).  Oh, and don't forget to  carry your business cards, even if just to get a cup of coffee or get some groceries.


"To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities."
~ Bruce Lee

"Good Night, And Good Luck"

Laura Rivchun

No comments:

Post a Comment