Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 31, 2014

How Being Proactive Will Help You Get Hired

Are you one of those people that always makes assumptions?  Rather than know the reality of a situation, do you make a wild guess and base your decision making on that alone?  If you're one of those people (and I can be too), you may be doing yourself more harm than you know.

It can be emotionally costly to make assumptions particularly when it comes to one's professional life.  It's really the lazy way out of something by making an assumption rather than being proactive and finding out the real deal.

I contacted a career development director at a university a few weeks ago to see if she was interested in contracting my coaching services.  I received a promising email back that she was waiting to find out about the fiscal budget and if she'd then have the money to hire me.  When I didn't hear back from her, I ASSUMED it was either bad news or she forgot about me completely.  Needless to say, I got myself worked up, felt disappointed and ruined my own day.  On what basis did I have to make this assumption?  Absolutely none.  I made a calculated guess based on pure emotion.  It had nothing to do  with reality.  So, I decided to be proactive and email her.  She genuinely seemed glad to hear from me and said she was still waiting on an answer but thanked me for following up.  Not only did I get an answer, but I also looked professional in the process.

If you're looking for a job, please don't be hard headed like me and make assumptions.  It will get you nowhere except frustrated and discouraged.  Being PROACTIVE will help get you hired.  And…you'll feel like you're in control.

"I like to encourage people to realize that any action is a good action if it's proactive and there is positive intent behind it."
~ Michael J. Fox

"Good Night, And Good Luck"

Laura Rivchun


1 comment:

  1. Yeah I agree with your thought. Try to be always proactive. Thanks for sharing nice article to us. AMC Square Learning

    ReplyDelete