Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 19, 2012

How To Kill A Job Interview In One Easy Step

Sometimes I feel like a broken record when I talk about the importance of appropriateness when job hunting.  Hmm, maybe I'm not that interesting and no one is listening.  Ooh, what an awful thought.  Maybe I should speak LOUDER????  That would be pretty obnoxious.  Or....maybe when it comes to presenting ourselves to the world (like in an interview), we don't really see the impression we make on others.

Tonight, I had dinner with two friends and one of them mentioned her son interviewed for a position at her company.  When she didn't get any news about the interview, she approached a colleague and they explained her son was wearing hoop earrings in both ears.  Even though he was impeccably dressed in a suit, the earrings were the one thing most remembered.  Unfortunately, that was the "take away" impression.  Sadly, he didn't get the job.

INTERVIEW TIP:

Being appropriately dressed (presentation) for an interview is hugely important.  First impressions are also lasting impressions.  When in doubt, dress up, not down (see my 9/26 post, "Dress For Success").  If you think dressing too conservatively for an interview is not you, just grin and bear it.  No one ever died from looking appropriately professional and polished.  Don't kill the job interview before you open your mouth.

"I have never experienced another human being.   I have experienced my impressions of them."
~ Robert Anton Wilson

"Good Night, And Good Luck"

Laura Rivchun

No comments:

Post a Comment