As a career coach and mentor, I really should set a "networking" example, right? Sometimes I get lazy to go to yet another event, take a referral out to coffee, participate in a workshop, etc. But hey, I'm not perfect. If occasional laziness is not your particular problem, but shyness is, you might want to look at some networking pointers to get you going:
How To Overcome Networking Discomfort
- Practice - the more often you network, the easier and more natural it will become
- Start small - go to an event where you may know people so it won't feel as intimidating
- Go with a friend but don't be stuck like glue the entire time
- Join an organization of interest - it will feel more organic engaging with people you have something in common with
- Approach networking with a positive attitude - networking is an opportunity to learn about another person and how you can help them. It's not a test of how likable you are.
- Know your self worth - feel confident to discuss what you do (your elevator pitch) with ease