Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 11, 2012

What Is Good Networking?

I seem to write a lot about networking these days.  It's become my mantra.  You know why?  I believe 120% that networking is the best way to build your career or business (and self esteem).

The dictionary's definition of networking is, "a supportive system of sharing information and services among individuals and groups having a common interest".  Another definition is, "to socialize for professional or personal gain".  I like my definition best, "networking is simply talking to people”.  

Keith Ferrazzi (business coach/author of Never Eat Alone) says “networking is about building sincere relationships based on mutual generosity, not duplicity, and that one can’t achieve career goals on their own.   One has to network their way to success.”  I think Keith Ferrazzi and I share the same mantra.

So, what makes a good networker?  For starters, ask how you can help someone out – even if they can’t help you.  Reciprocity is key and goes a long way – people are more likely to remember you if you are genuine in your effort to be helpful.   If you take the work out of networking, it can be a lot of fun.  You just might meet your next best friend, business partner or soul mate.  

This is the first of a series of posts I will be doing on "networking".  Remember, it's my mantra and soon to be yours!

"Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one."
~ Jane Howard quote


"Good Night, And Good Luck"

Laura Rivchun

No comments:

Post a Comment