Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Don't Burn Any Bridges

I was a recruiter for over 12 years.  I worked for firms that specialized in accounting, sales, legal, financial and media.  It was a great feeling knowing I could make a difference in the professional lives of my candidates.  It was tremendously rewarding work.  I developed new business in all my roles and found that gratifying as well.  I enjoyed nurturing, servicing and maintaining my client relationships even though it wasn't always smoothe sailing.  There's a fine balance keeping candidate and client equally happy.  But I did it because I'm a people pleaser and that's what recruiters do.

As much as I loved my work, it came with it's share of headaches (can you relate?).  One of my biggest  pet peeves (ask any recruiter) was dealing with the sometimes inconsiderate candidates who wouldn't show up (or call) for an interview with me.  I even had candidates who would "no show" for a client interview.  Can you imagine being that rude?  If you can, than a word to the wise; DON'T BURN ANY BRIDGES WITH RECRUITERS.  If you think a recruiter will work with you again after pulling something so disrespectful, you're dead wrong.   Many recruiters have a bad reputation because they're only interested in their commission and don't care about making the right match for client and candidate.  However, there are plenty who have scruples, talent and a heart.  If you find one, don't let them go.  They can be significantly instrumental in your next career move.

"Good Night, And Good Luck"

Laura Rivchun


No comments:

Post a Comment