Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Network!!

Have you ever been invited to a party or networking event and shyed away from going? That little voice inside says, "What could I possibly say that would interest someone I've never met before?" "What will I wear and besides I'm having a bad hair day"? Why are we reluctant to network and meet new people? I have some ideas that maybe you can relate to (here I go with my 2 cents again). 

People are basically shy - Shyness seems to be a universal trait in many of us. I was one of them until the age of 18 (my father hated that I finally discovered I had a mouth). Looking back, I realized if I worked on my shyness I would benefit in ways I never would have imagined. It didn't happen over night but in time, I felt more comfortable in my own skin.
Fear - Most people fear rejection. All of us have a vested interest in being accepted and liked. What's the worst that can happen if someone doesn't connect with you? You're still the same unique you. 
People underestimate their value - So many of us don't see ourselves and our impact on others. It's very empowering to know your own worth (and you need it in today's competitive job market).  So..

Make a list of all your positive qualities - then ask yourself, "why wouldn't someone want to meet me? I have a lot to offer".
Surround yourself with supportive people - there's nothing like having someone in your corner to cheer you on. If you can't see your great qualities, most likely others will.
Practice - (makes perfect) The more you do something, the easier it gets. Just get out and do it. Meeting new people can have great personal rewards. and networking doesn't have to be so scary.
 
"Good Night, And Good Luck"

Laura Rivchun

No comments:

Post a Comment