Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Short And Sweet

Don't you hate reading advertisements that have so much useless information in them that you wish the advertiser would just GET TO THE POINT?  I do.  Maybe it's the way my brain is wired but I can't stand a crowded, cluttered ad.  Half the time they just end up in my wastebasket.  Not a good thing for the advertiser.  Unfortunately, it's the same with a resume.  The person reading the resume isn't going to interview you because one of your interests is cooking (unless you're applying for a position on The Food Channel) or cycling (unless you're competing in The Tour de France).  We have just so much space on a page to showcase ourselves so it's best to use it wisely.  I once read a resume that was literally four pages long!!  I knew more about the guy than his family did.  TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!!

TIP FOR THE DAY:  Don't write a novel.  This is not Gone With The Wind but a snapshot of your background (professional, not personal).  Try and keep it to a one pager.  If you can't, that's ok but don't include extraneous information. Your resume is your advertisement.

I better quit while I'm ahead or I might end up in your wastebasket.

"Good Night, And Good Luck"

Laura Rivchun

No comments:

Post a Comment